note: start video at 1:36 to skip live waiting screens
Buttermilk and Sweet Potato Biscuits
- 1 cup and 2 Tbsp self rising flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup, mashed sweet potato
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- bourbon maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 425°
- Place the flour, sugar and salt into the bowl of a food processor.
- Cut butter into cubes and add to flour, then pulse 6 or 7 times.
- Add buttermilk and sweet potato and pulse until it forms a rough ball (don’t worry if it is a little sticky).
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and roll it into a rectangle, about an inch thick. Fold it in half and turn a quarter turn and gently roll it down again.
- Repeat folding and turning 6 times. (This helps with biscuit layers).
- Cut dough into biscuits using a round cutter. Do not twist cutter when cutting, this will crimp the edges of the biscuit causing it not to rise. If you have scraps just reform a rectangle and cut additional biscuits.
- Place biscuits on a parchment lined sheet pan and place in oven. Make sure they're touching. Bake until golden brown, about 10-15 minutes.
- When finished, brush the tops with melted butter. Serve with butter and honey on the side, or watch the video and learn how to make compound butter with bourbon maple syrup. Delicious!