When we're traveling with Family, Friends, or even on Business, we can't wait to go back to our hotel room at the end of a long day to relax and re-charge. But what to do for dinner? Just ask Lauren Wyler, the winner of Extended Stay America's 'Away From Home Cooking' contest. She has perfected the process and prefers to make simple meals that she knows her and her entire family will enjoy. With all of Extended Stay America's rooms coming with a fully equipped kitchen, they've made it easy to fell right at home, even when you're away from home
We caught up with Lauren at the New York City Wine & Food Festival and she offered us a few quick tips on cooking away from home and showed us how to make her award winning recipe for Baja Fish Taco Tortas with Smoky Cilantro Slaw. Try the recipe below and watch the video where she shares her story about her recipe, her family, and her Grandfather teaching her how to cook; that's what Real Food Real Kitchens is about after all: Family, Food, Culture and History..
Baja Fish Taco Tortas with Smoky Cilantro Slaw
2 cups shredded cabbage mix
2 Tablespoons ranch dressing
1 teaspoon chipotle hot sauce
1/4 cup cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
2 ripe avocados, peeled and pit removed
4 Tablespoons salsa verde
1 pound cod
1 teaspoon cumin
4 torta or bolillo rolls, split in half
1. In a medium mixing bowl combine the shredded cabbage, ranch dressing, hot sauce, chopped cilantro and ½ teaspoon salt. Stir until the slaw is well mixed.
2. In a small bowl place the peeled avocado, salsa verde and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Using a fork, roughly mash and mix together.
3. Cut the lime in half. Take one of the halves and cut it into wedges to serve with the finished tortas.
4. Heat 2 Tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. While the pan is heating sprinkle the cod with the cumin, ½ teaspoon of salt and ¼ teaspoon of pepper. When the oil is hot, add the fish to the pan and cook for 3-5 minutes. Flip the fish and continue to cook for 3-5 minutes or until the fish flakes easily and is opaque. Remove the pan from the heat and squeeze the half of lime over the fish.
5. To assemble, place the halved torta rolls on each plate. Spread each of the torta bottom evenly with the avocado spread, divide the fish evenly between each and then top each with the slaw. Serve with lime wedges.
article by Craig Chapman